What is QWORKS?
QWORKS is a FREE 20-week Skills Training for Employment Program, assisting members of British Columbia’s 2SLGBTQ+ community facing multiple barriers to find sustainable employment.
The QWORKS Program is delivered in a hybrid model combining live online classes with self-paced learning, and features content specifically tailored to the experiences and needs of 2SLGBTQ+ individuals. QWORKS also includes one-on-one coaching, including referrals to personal supports, employment placements, and on-the-job training.
The QWORKS program creates a safe space to learn and connect.
QWORKS combines foundational skills & employment training with content specifically tailored to the 2SLGBTQ+ experience.
- Training is available online & accessible 24/7 from anywhere in BC.
- An individual Training Plan creates the framework to guide you through the QWORKS program and meet your unique needs & goals.
- Hear from guest speakers with specialized 2SLGBTQ+ content & resources, as well as 2SLGBTQ+ employers about their career journey.
- Connect with inclusive employers via the Inclusive Employers Hiring HUB.
- Benefit from a safe group environment, paired with independent follow up & one-on-one support from your Success Team.
What past participants say...
Who's on your Success Team?
Your journey in the QWORKS Program includes having a dedicated Success Team, consisting of a Facilitator, Job Developer, Employment Counsellor, and Customer Service Representative. They are there to guide, support, and assist you in overcoming any barriers you may encounter on your path to employment.
Your Client Service Representative will support your Success Team to ensure that all of the registration and administration pieces are taken care of, so your QWORKS journey runs smoothly.
Your Job Developer will provide you with customized one-on-one support with your employment goals and job search activities, as well as follow up with you during your first 12 weeks of employment or related training.
The Program Manager (PM) collaborates closely with the entire QWORKS Success Team to ensure the delivery of high-quality services to participants. They play an active role in developing and coordinating our curriculums and intake processes and work in close partnership with the entire team to support participants in achieving successful outcomes.
You don’t have to settle – let us help you find the job that’s right for YOU!
Who is QWORKS for?
- Member of the 2SLGBTQ+ community and facing multiple barriers to employment.
- Resident of British Columbia & legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Unemployed or precariously employed.
- Not a full-time student.
- Not participating in another provincially or federally funded program.
- Windows or Mac computer
- Working webcam, microphone, speakers, and/or headphones
- Stable Internet connection capable of streaming
- Basic Digital Skills are recommended to participate in this program. Training modules and workshops and one-on-one support are all delivered virtually.
While digital skills are essential for success in this program, please let us know if you require access to technology. You may be eligible to borrow equipment.
- You may be eligible to receive a training allowance based on participation in the program.
- We may be able to assist with on-the-job or back-to-school supports such as books, software, exam fees, record checks, licenses, and short-term training certificates (FoodSafe, Serving it Right, First Aid etc.).
- Referrals to housing supports, mental health services, and counselling.
Connect Anywhere! Our web-based training provides those in rural & remote areas with new opportunities to enhance skills & build community.
Build your community with small classes of people with shared experiences
What does the QWORKS Journey Look Like?
Phase 1 – The first 8 weeks of the program combines virtual synchronous and asynchronous sessions. Join your morning sessions to check-in & discuss the day’s topics and spend afternoons focused on independent work and meeting one-on-one with your Success Team.
Phase 2 – After Phase 1, you have 12 weeks of employment placements and/or job search to connect you to employment and/or further education or training. We will stay connected to support your job sustainability and help you with any issues or questions that arise.
*Session start dates are subject to change
Spots are limited – contact us today!
The QWORKS team works with employers who have access to the Inclusive Employers Hiring HUB (The HUB).
QWORKS employer recruitment includes access to the Inclusive Employers Hiring HUB (The HUB). The HUB provides interactive web-based inclusivity training and resources for employers and their staff. The HUB also features a Job Board to connect QWORKS participants with inclusive employers.
By offering training for both employees and employers, we are creating change in employer hiring practices, educating employers on working with diverse populations, and providing a safe space for QWORKS participants to connect with employers.
Employers who hire QWORKS participants may be eligible for a wage subsidy to cover the cost of training your new team member!
Funding provided through the Government of Canada through the Canada-British Columbia Workforce Development Agreement.